Staffing Procedures Lab (10301HR)
This lab course has students complete a series of assignments to determine their center's staffing needs, and develop a structure for finding, recruiting, and training new employees.
Lab Topics and Objectives:
Lab Topic 1
- Evaluate true hiring need vs. perceived need to hire.
- Assess your center’s true operational needs.
- Consider cost-effective alternatives to hiring a new person right away.
- Define your center’s culture.
Lab Topic 2
- Define great employee qualities that make for a good fit in your center.
- Decide whether to hire for the job, for the center, or both.
- Appreciate the need to understand job duties more than job title.
- Evaluate the variety of recruiting tools available for your employee search.
Lab Topic 3
- Develop a beneficial interview template for use in your center.
- Create scripts for the phone interview and the in-person interview.
- Generate a list of “Must Knows” for every potential employee.
Lab Topic 4
- Set employee expectations from day one.
- Create an on-boarding checklist.
- Develop a training checklist for new hires.
Lab Topic 5
- Devise a road map to develop employees.
- Develop an in-house training seminar.
- Create a Performance Management system.
- Implement a system of measuring employee performance.
- Incorporate ways to reinforce training and your center’s values into daily interactions with employees.
- Cultivate consistency with how you evaluate employees, taking care to give all employees equal treatment.
- Analyze performance problems that occur in your center.
- Specify how conflicts will be handled.